Monday the 26th brought an event that Jay has been looking forward to ever since he first applied to the CHP: his first day on the EVOC course! Just between you and me, I think getting paid to drive a patrol car at high rates of speed was his whole reason for considering the CHP as a career in the first place. Helping people, shemlping people, it's all about the car! Of course I'm kidding. (No, I'm not.)
So, given my statement above, it shouldn't surprise you that it was "the best 4 hours" he's had at the Academy thus far. He called me that night and was as giddy as I've ever seen (heard) him, and that's including after I said I would marry him! He spent the majority of the conversation giving me the details, but I have to admit I don't remember much because I'm old and have 3 young kids that feed off of my remaining brain cells.
What I do remember is this:
The cadets go to EVOC in small groups and are taken for a "ride-along" across the course with an instructor so that they know what they're supposed to do. Of course, they only go through it once with the instructor so it's not like they're very prepared when they get in the car by themselves, but that didn't stop Jay from being excited. He had the patrol car window down and yelled (probably in the same giddy voice he used on the phone with me) to Fernandez, the cadet next to him, "Isn't this cool?!? I can't believe I'm getting paid to do this!"
He then proceeded to drive the course 4 or 5 times, moving in and out of cones, doing various moves and stops as he was instructed. He was also required to back-up for about half a mile "as fast as he dared," and then whip the car into a parking space. He couldn't tell me how fast he got up to because he obviously couldn't turn around and check, but knowing Jay I'm sure it was pretty fast. He was actually being tested on all of this, and he passed!! Whoo hoo!! The first phase of EVOC is done! Up next: The Skid Pan. Yes, it's as daunting as it sounds.
Friday, November 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment