Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Dos and Don’ts

So, a Czech woman touched my belly in line at IKEA yesterday. I have to say, that is not one of my favorite experiences. I don’t like strangers, even casual acquaintances, touching me in any way, shape, or form. That feeling only intensifies when I'm pregnant. I know she wasn’t trying to violate me or anything, but I felt like saying, “Um, this is your dance space, this is my dance space, let's cha-cha,” and then moving on with our conversation.

It wasn't only the belly-touching, though. She also made the “You’re due soon, right?” comment. Uhhhhhhhh... no. Try 4 more months.

She was a nice woman, so it's really nothing against her, but those are two of my biggest pet peeves when I’m pregnant. I really need to have a t-shirt made, so that I can educate the world on what not to say to a pregnant woman. It would prevent a lot of awkwardness, don’t you think?

Here’s what I would like the world to know:

What not to say (or do) to a pregnant woman

1) Don't guess how far along she is. If you must, then follow this rule: Before guessing out loud how far along she is, automatically subtract 2 months. Either you’ll be right on, or you’ll make her day.
2) Strike the words big, chubby, and plump from your vocabulary. Replace them with healthy, happy, and glowing.
3) Never, under any circumstances, ask if someone is having twins. Ever.
4) Unless you’re close friends, don’t ask if she plans on having an epidural / breastfeeding / having any more kids. It’s really none of your business.
5) And lastly, if you don’t want her touching your belly, keep your hands off hers!

Here’s what you should do instead:

1) Tell her she looks great, even if her legs are swollen, she has bags under her eyes, and her protroding belly is covered with drips from her recently-devoured ice cream cone.
2) Open the door for her, or better yet, help unload her grocery cart since her pregnant belly makes it almost impossible to reach into the far corners.
3) Surprise her with some Ben & Jerry’s... almost any flavor will do. And don't judge her when she eats the whole cartoon while sobbing through Pride & Prejudice for the 6,000th time.
4) Tell her congratulations. It will make her day, especially when she’s spent the rest of the morning catching glimpses of strangers giving her the ‘ol stink eye for having yet another baby when she’s already contributed to overpopulating the world with the three she already has.
5) Tell her she looks great... again. It never gets old. :)

Hmmmm.
I don't think all that will fit on a t-shirt. Darn.

Ladies, what do you think? Am I missing any pregnancy dos & don'ts? I know I'm not the only one who thinks about these things... right?

17 comments:

Stacey said...

Amen, sister. I will add: when a pregnant woman announces that she is pregnant for the first time, don't respond "I thought you might be." Now I want to watch Dirty Dancing. Thanks for that, Amy.

Powers Fam said...

You could always use the front and the back of the shirt. Of course, I know some prego women don't want people staring at their back sides either!

Brooke said...

I have to say, when I told people I was having identical twins I had multiple people ask, "We're you taking something?" First of all, it's none of their business. Second of all, their IDENTICAL, so it doesn't matter in the first place. Whatever you do, don't ask. I am with you on people touching my belly, not even very close acquaintances...just don't go there. :)

Brenda said...

I agree with everything. I had a solicitor tell me I was huge once. Yeah, that will make me want to buy whatever it was that she was selling. I, personally, don't mind my belly being touch (yes, even by strangers) but that doesn't give me the right to go groping others. Here's another statement to add to your list. I a woman is holding an infant, don't ask her when she's due. Especially if you work in the childrens department at JCPenney. Stupid 19 year old cashier.

The Fear Fam said...

Stacey, Brooke & Brenda - People amaze me!! Consider those three things definitely added to the t-shirt! :)

~A

Jeremy said...

"Tell her she looks great."

Yeah, right.

It doesn't even matter if I believe it, she doesn't think I'm being sincere.

Robert and Katie said...

I have one for you Amy "Are those maternity?"

Robert and Katie said...

Or "Was it planned?"

The Fear Fam said...

Good ones, Katie! I hate "was it planned?" I got that several times, since Dex isn't 2 yet.

And here's another one I forgot, "You guys know what causes that, right?" That started with #3. *rolls eyes*

Laurie Von said...

How funny are you Amy?!?! I can see why Jay loves ya to death, you're crackin' me up. I've enjoyed reading about Jay in the academy and how it was for you too. What a HUGE accomplishment. I'm so proud of him and you for supporting him so well--that is a big big part of it. So excited for you guys and your cute family. enjoy your pregnancy even with the psychos around you.

Laurie Von said...

I tried to leave a comment--i don't know if it worked. I had said that you are so dang funny no wonder why Jay loves you so much. Its been great to read about your experience with the academy. I know it's pretty intense. My brother and my brother in law went thru the police academy and it takes a lot of perserverence and patience and understanding on both your parts. Anywho what a huge accomplishment. Jay is totally gonna rock. so proud of him and you for handling that. so fun to keep in touch.

The Farrell Family said...

This post cracked me up. I am pretty much in total agreement with everything you said. I am actually ok with the belly touching thing, but can totally see why some people aren't, which is why I don't go around feeling other people's tummys as a general rule.

thomalee said...

sorry! some people...honestly! I think you covered the do's and don'ts pretty well and coming from one who was asked if I was having twins (twice) I'll say that is a definite no no.

Scott said...

I think you're forgetting how big a pregnant woman's shirt really is. I don't think space is going to be a problem.:-D

Okay, I'ma go hide from you for a few months so you don't throw something at me...

Colleen's had a lot of conversations like this:
"So you have two boys, you hoping for a girl this time?"
"No, we'd be happy either way."
"Yeah, but I bet you really want a girl, huh? I mean three boys..."
"No, we love our boys. We'd be fine with another one..."

the "was it planned" is bad too.

And though "Pride & Prejudice" does happen often (probably both the long and the short in the same day), it seems like "The last episode of The Office Season 2" might be closer to the truth...

The Fear Fam said...

Scott, you make some excellent points. (But yes, be careful, I still may throw something at you.) :) We got the same thing about "wanting a boy," and it seemed like no one believed us that we would be perfectly happy with another girl.

The Office Season 2 Finale is one of the best of all time. I would surely wear out the DVD if I had it. "Welcome Ladies, Gentlemen, and the Disabled!"

just us said...

Hi. I'm a blog stalker and I just wanted to tell you that this was the funniest post ever. I am a mother of four girls so I can totally realate. . .to everything.
The comment we get a lot is "what, you guys don't have a TV?" (I guess,refering to the fact that all we must do is "make" babies out of boredom.)
~Missy

Meghan said...

I'm way behind on blogging again. Your do's and don'ts are the best! When Austin was in the ER and I took a break to get a sandwich a very gracious woman came up to me- first asked if I was prenant and then said 'You're absolutely beautiful' I could have kissed her!