
Today was the first day of school. Two weeks ago, I was more than ready for this day to come. Having all three kids at home can get pretty tiring, especially when the two oldest start fighting like cats and dogs on a way-too-regular basis. But last night, as we sat on the brink of First Grade, I started feeling a little sad about the whole thing. My eldest leaving me for all-day school! My Ba-by! Agh! I was actually surprised by the emotions I felt. I was expecting a lot more excitement from myself. Something along these lines (click it, it's worth it):
So I went to bed with a lot on my mind and did not sleep very well. Our alarm went off at 6:30 (school starts at 8:12... quite a difference from her noon kindergarten!). We hit snooze, of course, but there was no point since Natalie was by my side at 6:31, "Is it morning? I heard your alarm." She was pretty excited to get the day started.

For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to have a special First Day of School Breakfast. Like I didn't have enough to stress over. But, I forged ahead and made pancakes while Jay cooked up some bacon, and we all enjoyed a nice warm breakfast instead of the cold cereal they usually get. Well, they enjoyed it. I shoved down a pancake without taking time to chew so that I could make Natalie's lunch and pack it in her new cupcake lunch box.

After posing for a few Back to School pictures, the whole gang walked to the school. It was a gorgeous morning, and I felt my spirits rising. Natalie was excited, which was a big help. The school was a zoo, of course, but we found her classroom without a problem. I met the teacher, and Natalie found her desk, right next to a friend from kindergarten. Oh my, was the classroom cute. It was almost enough to make me want to go back to school to become a teacher. Almost.

And then we left, and Natalie began the exciting world of First Grade.
This afternoon when I picked her up, I asked the typical "How was your first day?" question, and was elated by her reponse. "It was SO much fun," she said. Yes! I was so glad she didn't come home sobbing. Well.... actually... there were a few tears when she told me about recess: "Connor and I played Space and then we decided to play Princess and we asked Summer to play. But Summer and I were fighting over who got to be the queen, so Summer said let's play Rock Paper Scissors, but I don't know how to play so I didn't do very well (tears starting) and so (big sob) I lost and didn't get to be the queen!!!" She was so upset about not knowing how to play Rock Paper Scissors that I felt like a loser parent for not teaching her such an essential playground tool sooner. What was I thinking?! I hugged her and promised that I would teach her how to play right away. [So, yeah, watch out Van Tassell's!!! ;)]
Overall, it was a successful day. I can't believe we have to do it all again tomorrow (although minus pancakes). Let the school year craziness begin!


10 comments:
That commercial is a riot! I love it.
Our kids went back to school today.I think I won the award for the biggest loser Mom when I was still sleeping since Chris got home at 2 am. I had the kids bring me the camera and I took their picture while continuing to lay in bed.My carpool partner came to pick them up. Also, no breakfast because we just came home yesterday from vacation and our fridge was bare. I remember yelling to Ryan," Eat some soynuts!" June Cleaver, my hat is off to you!
I can't wait...only 1 more week! Thanks for the rock, paper, scissors tip. I will be teaching that to Ben today. :)
We just dropped off Sara today at school. She is in the first grade as well. It seems like just yesterday that Fear and I were all fungused up in Panama. Now we're shipping kids off to school.
Precious!!! Thanks Amy.
Mom
Congrats on making it through the first day. She looks just like you. Are you worried that she is already playing with Connor???? I'll be sure to start playing Rock Paper Scissors with Landon tonight. It's so nice having friends go thru things before me!
For the record, I have no idea how Summer even learned to play rock, paper, scissors. Where do kids figure this stuff out? Or maybe her dad had something to do with it . . .
Shellie - you need to click the link on Connor's name and it'll bring you to a post that explains everything. :) And yes.... I am worried. :) But I'm *trying* not to make a big deal out of it.
Stacey - I'm sure it was Dave's doing. :) It's a good thing for her to know... at least she was resolving the conflict peacefully.
Ben - thanks for the visual! ;)
I'm glad Connor is back in the mix. It's fun to hear about six year old love. ;) I'm glad the first day of school was a hit...besides the whole queen thing. Maybe next time.
Thanks for rubbing it in that school doesn't start for another week and a half here! I'm couting down the days...
Amy you make me giggle. I can't believe your kids are getting so big, they are supposed to stay toddlers forever--ok maybe that would be bad. love this time of year, change is good, hard sometimes but is a fun emotional ride.
Post a Comment