Monday, May 12, 2008

I could be seriously shunned for this...

Alright... this is a Teutschman Family secret recipe, but I feel bad always mentioning mayonnaise cake and not passing on how to make it, so... here you go!

Mom's Mayonnaise Cake

Cake:

Preheat oven to 375
1 cup sugar
1 cup mayonnaise (full fat, none of that light junk)
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
4 tbls cocoa
1 cup water
2 tbls vanilla

Blend together sugar and mayonnaise, set aside
Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cocoa
Add dry ingredients to the sugar & mayo mixture with 1 cup water. Add vanilla.
Mix with mixer until smooth
Bake in two cake rounds at 375 for 30 minutes (watch it... in my oven it can take as little as 20 minutes)

Frosting: (this makes the cake - one look at the ingrediants will tell you why)

1 cube butter (don't use margarine - the frosting will not set)
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tbls vanilla

Heat all ingrediants (EXCEPT vanilla) to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes.
Remove from heat, add vanilla.
Whip with mixture until set. This is the tricky part... it takes a long time to cool and set, but don't give up! It's worth it! You need it to set so that it's thick enough to spread, but not so thick that it's clumpy.

Frost your cake, and enjoy! If anyone tries the recipe, let me know how it turns out!

1 comment:

Scott said...

I just don't know if I can do it. I really want to, but I just don't know if I can. I'll have to have Colleen make it and try it first or something. I mean, I don't know if you've noticed, but it's got mayonaisse in it! That's not generally something I even put in my mouth, let alone my cake. Actually, I don't make cakes. So I guess I don't put anything into my cakes.