Thursday, May 15, 2008

The beat of her own drummer

It’s a familiar scene. I’m trying to go to Target before I have to pick up Natalie from school, so I load Dexter in the van and yell to Bea for the fifth time, “Get your socks and shoes on and let’s go!

“I’m coming!” she responds, and out she finally trots, wearing this:


I used to care. Really, I did. When Jay was the stay-at-home parent and I would see some of the outfits he let the girls wear, I usually burst out with some comment along the lines of “You let her wear THAT?!?” Now I totally get it. They have minds of their own and I am trying really hard not to stifle their freedom and creativity, especially when it comes to something as trivial as clothes. (I can’t believe I just said that! Stacy and Clinton, please forgive me.)

So off we went to Target, with Bea in a sparkly pink Valentine’s shirt, a brown skirt, one of Natalie’s red socks pulled up to her thigh, one yellow chic-adorned Easter sock pulled up on the other leg, and sparkly black church shoes.

There were a lot of smiles in our direction the whole afternoon, but I felt proud of myself for letting her make her own choice. Well, mostly. I did draw the line at this addition:

5 comments:

Gramma Betsy said...

What a pair of sweethearts...you and Bea.
Rita has seen pictures of herself in what she would describe as an unmatching outfit and as me why I let her wear it.... Now she knows and you do too. Sometimes the kids just like it that way....I love you, (and the three little rascals at your house...and the big one too)
Mom

The Farrell Family said...

I love it. Brighton does the same thing. Somehow, with a closet full of cute clothes and plenty of matching items, it seems like she can always pick the articles of clothing that should most definitely not be worn together. I'm with you on just letting them be independent and pick their own, crazy outfits though...most of the time anyway. ;)

Brenda said...

Friends and Family used to comment on how Preston and Carson were always dressed so cute. No one does anymore. Weird. Abby, however, is still under my control...Way to be an original Bea!

Chris and Rita said...

John got a new pair of cowboy boots and has been wearing them with camo shorts for the last few days.Gotta love 'em!

Meg said...

I was noticing at preschool recently that the most of the children from small families were in cute little matching outfits and that the children that came from larger families were running around in more “colorful” outfits. I started to worry that maybe I should take more time to make sure my children wore cute matching outfits then decided that I should just let them be kids. Picking there own clothes helps them develope personality.