Anyway, I know how you all are clamoring for a Week 17 update, so I will zip my lip and speak of my woes no more. Here we go...
When our fearless cadet left us last Sunday he had a lot on his mind. Week 17 was going to be full of tests, tests, and more tests. First up was their vehicle pullover scenario test on Monday. Jay was a little nervous but... he passed! 96% baby! It seemed like a good omen for the rest of the week. On Wednesday Jay's class was officially given "senior" status. (Even though the junior class has been around since January, Jay's class had to earn the title. It was a long road for them... 1 step forward, 2 steps back kind of thing.) So now Jay and his classmates sport a little yellow "cheez-it" on their right shoulder as a symbol of their awesomeness. Of course the staff made sure to remind them that it could be taken away at any second, so no one's holding their breath.
When we visited Jay Wednesday night for liberty, he was slightly distracted. He was going for his second attempt at PMA (Physical Methods of Arrest) Certification on Thursday, and he really wanted to pass. He didn't want to have to take a 3rd attempt, which would be in front of the Lt. When we parted I tried to pump him up as much as possible, and I spent the whole of Thursday praying my guts out for him. Then I sat by the phone and waited for 8 o'clock to come. 8 came... and went. 8:15 came... and went. 8:30 came... ring, ring! I grabbed the phone almost as fast as I did on Day 1 and barely let him say "Hi" before I asked him how it went. He passed!!! I have to say, we were both a little giddy with relief. It was a huge thing to have crossed off the list.
Then Friday came and Jay had his second attempt at the high speed course. I wasn't as nervous for him on this one because he was only on 2 of 4 tries. Both he and I tried to approach it with the "It would be awesome to pass, but it's not necessary today," kind of attitude. When he called me on his way home that evening he actually tried to get away with not telling me anything. It was almost as if he forgot who he was married to for a few minutes. There was no way I was going to let him get away with that so eventually he spilled the beans... he passed!!! I was so happy for him. There have been so many cadets failing out on high speed lately that it is getting a little scary. In fact, Jay was the only one to pass on Friday. That doesn't mean he's in the clear driving-wise, though. There is still the Code 3 course, which he will probably take soon. Not as many people fail out on Code 3, but it's always a possibility. This Academy experience has got us living on the edge, that's for sure.
We were able to celebrate the great week at a Valentine's Dance at church on Friday night. Betsy was sweet enough to watch the kids and Jay and I had a great time shaking our groove thang. One of my favorite things about Jay is that he loves to dance. As adults we rarely get the opportunity (except in the kitchen), so we took full advantage. We were one of the last couples to leave. But what can you do? When the DJ busts out "Rollercoaster," you can't walk out. You just can't!
Here we are, all dressed up with a place to go!
The rest of the weekend included the weekly bagel run Saturday morning, a trip to Vasona that afternoon, and a really great dinner at home. Sunday was church, hanging out at home, and taking a family walk around the neighborhood. I am loving this weather. The constant rain was making me feel like a Grumpy Zombie Mommy.
Bea & Daddy, just swinging
Natalie waiting her turn for the slide
Mischief Managed!


7 comments:
Cute pics of your kiddos! I know I've said this before, but I can't believe how big they are! I just expect them to stay the size they were last time I saw them. :)
Jay's training sounds intense! Sounds like it is going well though. How much longer?
Now there's a Harry Potter fan! Loved the pics of the fam. I must comment on your smile, you can tell you were ready to boogie girl! Of course it helps to know you get to spend the evening with your honey after him being gone f-o-r-e-v-e-r!
Congrats to Jay on everything! Here's to single digit weeks left! Ooh Rah!
Good job Jay!! That's so awesome!
Robert should have liberty this Wednesday so hopefully we will get to see you guys again!
I am so glad you guys got to go dancing. I wish Nick liked to dance, but he doesn't. I had to twist his arm to go to one dance, but that is all we have been to since we have been married. You guys look great! :)
sounds like a good week. Now I wish we'd gone to the dance, so we could hang out with you guys a bit.
I love that stage where they start getting into the movies...
oh I almost forgot, nice Princess Bride reference.
Yes! I'm so glad someone caught that. I knew I could count on you, Scott!
~A
Post a Comment