Sunday, February 24, 2008

Here we come, Week 20!

I had a similar experience to my friend Brenda this past week. Last Sunday, as Jay was preparing to head back to the Academy, he started complaining about feeling sick. I have to admit I thought he was being a tad dramatic so although I tried to show sympathy, I didn't really believe that he was that ill. I thought perhaps he was just dreading going back to the Academy. So I loaded him up on some generic Dayquil, told him he'd be fine, and kicked him out the door. Of course, what do you think happened? He called me Monday night and he was just miserable. I have never heard him so sick and so down before. He went to the doctor the next day and lo and behold - strep throat!! (Again, eerily similar to Brenda's story... it's almost as if reading her blog brought the sickness into our house. Not that I'm blaming her or anything...)

The doctor prescribed 2 days of bed rest and loaded Jay up on penicillin and - get this - vicadin. I have to admit I was a little annoyed. When I had strep a few months ago, I didn't get bed rest and I certainly didn't get vicadin! In fact, my doctor didn't even believe that I had strep and made me wait an agonizing 24 hours for the test results to come back. Whatever!

So Jay was confined to his room for 2 days and slept on his cozy Academy cot as much as possible. He was supposed to have meals brought to him but they forgot for 3 meals in a row! I finally told him that he needed to talk to someone about it, but when he did the Staff took it out on one of Jay's quadmates, as if it was his fault. Luckily everyone is pretty used to getting yelled at for no reason, so his quadmate took it all in stride.

Jay went back to full duty on Thursday and made it through the rest of the week with no problems. He had a huge 8 hour Accident Investigation test on Friday, and although he won't have the results back for a week, he feels confident that he passed.

The weekend was good, despite the torrential downpour. We spent part of Saturday getting Jay some new clothes since he's lost so much weight. Everything he owns makes him look like he's drowning in cotton. We even bought him a new suit, which he was in desperate need of. He looks quite studly in it, if I do say so myself. I can't wait to pick it up next weekend (it's getting altered) so I can show him off on Sunday.

And now we begin Week 20 of 27. There are some exciting things coming up, including finding out where Jay will be assigned. I don't know exactly when we'll find that out, but I will of course keep you all posted.

As a side note, you'll probably notice that this is a pictureless post. I completely spaced taking Jay's picture tonight. We were both a little sad about having to say goodbye yet again, so taking the picture was not in the forefront of my mind. We thought that the goodbyes would be a little easier by now... but they're not. Thank goodness we only have 8 weeks left.

2 comments:

Robert and Katie said...

I'm glad Jay is feeling better!! I can't believe you only have 8 weeks left! p.s. I loved Bea's little video. She has the sweetest little voice!

Brenda said...

I hear you LOUD AND CLEAR!!! Trevor has been prescribed lortab in the past for strep. Pah-leeese! I can't believe the dr. made you wait 24 hours. To my recollection there is a 5 MINUTE test they can do in the office. That's just messed up! I'm glad everyone is healthy now though. Have a great and hopefully short week:)