Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I am that HERO!


Natalie and Bea are both really into superheroes lately, especially Larry Boy. (He does have style...) They sing the theme song and play with their Larry Boy action figures and the LarryMobile, and both girls have declared that we are all dressing up as Larry Boy for Halloween. I guess that means I only have 8 months to find a way to get these to stay on my head:
Bea especially loves him. The other day she shyly told me, "I wish Larry Boy be real." (So sweet, right?) Then, after I put her to bed the other night, she called me back to the room:

Bea: Mommy?
Me: Yes sweetie?
Bea: I wish I be a super hero.
Me: That would be very cool.
Bea: How can I be a super hero?
Me: (pause) Um... well, you start by always making good choices, and .... (pause)... um... we'll talk about the rest tomorrow. Love you!

It is really heartbreaking to have to tell your kids that someone they love isn't real, even if it is a talking cucumber. But tell them I did. I also took the opportunity to dispel the myth of Superman, Spiderman, and Batman. The main fallout from all this honesty? Bea keeps asking me if Jesus is real. I reassure her that he is, but she keeps asking anyway. It must be pretty confusing to a 3 year old... I can only imagine the therapy she's going to need in a few years when she finds out about Santa ...

Here she is, singing the Larry Boy theme song. Usually she does a snazzy dance to accompany it but she was a little shy in front of the camera. (Yes, it's sideways... but still cute.)


5 comments:

Jeremy said...

Finds out *what* about Santa?!?!?

Brenda said...

My kids love Larry Boy too. They just sing the veggie tale theme song though..."If you like to talk to tomatoes, if a squash can make you smile..."

Gramma Betsy said...

Amy, sorry to do this here....will you tell Jarom I come into S.F. next Sunday at 10:45 am.
I miss you all very much.

The Farrell Family said...

So cute!

Chris and Rita said...

Johnny has watched this clip numerous times and is always quoting your last line,"Good job sweetie!"