There it is, in the distance... graduation!
Jay's week started out with the loss of 4 cadets from his class. One cadet quit, two went out on skid pan, and one of Jay's roommates broke his leg. He broke it last week during the obstacle course (the same day Jay pulled his quad), but thought it was a sprained ankle and hobbled around on it for a week. I told Jay it sounded like it was broken, and for once I'm sorry that I was right. Jay's roommate is a good guy and I hate for this to happen to him. He is on paid leave, however, and once he's healed he will hopefully be able to join the next Academy class.
In the middle of the week Jay was able to cross another graduation requirement off of his list - he certified in Spanish arrest techniques. Jay's fluency in Spanish has been such a blessing. One less thing to stress over.
Friday the cadets got to play a little Muhammed Ali and box one another. (Can I just say here that I am very glad I'm not the one at the Academy? Can you imagine me boxing?) Usually the staff pairs people up according to size, but Jay was actually challenged by one of his friends. Jay kicked his butt! Just kidding... it was a pretty fair match, but most of the cadets said Jay won. He was pretty sore over the weekend and complained about having used muscles he doesn't normally have to use. Jay's a lover, not a fighter, after all...
The yucky thing about Week 16 was that Jay was required to stay at the Academy Saturday for his first attempt at the high speed course. He was not excited about losing a day with his family, but he was excited for the chance to relive all his past driving indiscretions. Here's an aerial view of the course:
(sorry for the grainy look... I have no clue how to fix it, but you get the idea, right?)
The first time through the course he was sitting in the passenger seat while the instructor drove. They took it slow as the instructor talked about the course and pointed out important areas. Then, the instructor put the pedal to the metal, baby, and Jay was scared out of his mind. They were taking turns at over 100 mph, and took most of the rest of the course at 115. The thing that scared Jay, though, was not the speed but the fact that he was not in control. Once it was his turn to get behind the wheel it wasn't nearly as nerve-wracking. Don't get me wrong, it was still scary, but it was also fun.
He did not pass the high speed course on his first attempt, but the instructor was happy with his progress and just thinks that Jay needs more time in the car, which he should get in the next week or two. I think Jay's secretly glad he didn't pass the first time... it gives him an excuse to be a speed demon again!
And now Week 16 is done, and there are 11 weeks left to go in this Academy journey of ours. Each week brings new challenges both at the Academy and here on the home front, but we are both marching on towards that faint glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.
Some weekend highlights:
Making Valentine's cookies with Grandma
Just hanging out with Daddy


4 comments:
It wouldn't be Valentine's without sugar cookies and Grandma. (:
Could you have found a more complimentary picture of your mother-in-law? Perhaps one with my eyes totally closed?
I had a fun with the girls...to quote Bea as she is putting 53 cinnamon hearts on one cookie....
'They aren't too spicy gramma'.
Sorry Mom, you were only in two and I think you would have liked this one best. :) You are always very serious and focused when you are frosting cookies. :)
~A
That is why my brother wanted to be a state patrolman. What he really wanted to do was race in nascar, the WSP was the next best thing. He loves living in the country and having all the open roads. He turns his lights on and there's no stopping him. Drives my sister-in-law crazy!
Post a Comment