Monday, January 28, 2008

Week 15 - done!


I really love being able to say we're done with week 15! In just a few more weeks we will only have single-digits left. That is really exciting! Here's the rundown of the week:

Bad news: As I already posted, Jay pulled his quad muscle on Monday and was put on light duty. He had to put up with taunts and a grouchy EMS Staff all week. Also, he was supposed to have his first attempt at the High Speed Course on Friday at the same time as his follow-up doctor's appointment, but the EMS staff wouldn't change it despite the fact that the regular Academy staff said the driving was more important. It's actually a long story about what happened but I'll just say that they changed Jay's High Speed attempt to next SATURDAY at 10 a.m. Yeah, we're real happy about that. I'm trying to look on the bright side (like, he won't miss any classes), but I'm still a little disgruntled.

Good news: On Friday Jay went to the doctor and was cleared from light duty! His quad is much better and he is able to get back into his regular Academy schedule, which he's excited about. He hates having to wait on the sidelines.

Also, they received word that Jay's company won the Holiday Food Drive challenge! Jay was in charge of the food drive, so it was an especially sweet victory. His company collected over 1400lbs of food. For their efforts they received several things:
  • They no longer have to polish brass on Tuesdays
  • They no longer have to take any spelling tests
  • They received not one, but TWO extra nights of liberty! One of those nights is tomorrow, and the other is Valentine's Day. Whoo hoo!
Overall there were more good things than bad things this week, and that is always something to be thankful for.

The weekend:
Jay took me out on a date for my birthday on Saturday. If you're wondering, these are the kind of things that old married couples with 3 kids do on their dates:

Dinner at Chipotle
Trip to the mall to spend our gift cards
Deposit checks at the bank
Decide to go bowling, change mind because we're too tired
Dessert at Flames

We had a lot of fun, actually. It doesn't matter to me what Jay and I do... it's just so nice to hang out with my best friend. Although I try to act tough, I really miss him during the week.

On Sunday Betsy was kind enough to watch the kids (again!) so that Jay and I could go to Stake Conference alone and actually pay attention to the speakers! It was so nice to not be constantly hushing our kids or standing in the back with Dex or cleaning spit-up off the pews. In general I like to have the kids at conference because they need to get used to it anyway, but every once in a while it's nice to have some grown-up spiritual time.

Sunday evening they surprised me with my favorite birthday treat of all: Mayonnaise cake! Mmmm! It was soooo good. Oh, and I got to take a nap, too!

Thanks to everyone who made my (early) birthday so special!
Here's to another great year!

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Happy birthday girlie! Sounds like you had a good one. I hear you about the dates. On paper our dates sound lame, but we're together...ALONE!

Allie and Spencer said...

Happy birthday Amy! It sounds like you had a fun weekend. Yay for having liberty on Valentines! Love Allie

Chris and Rita said...

I have never had mayonaise cake...how 'bout the recipe for your ol' sister in law?(:

As for dates with your hubby...our favorite thing to do is hire our big kids to watch the little guys.We then leave out the side door and go around the back of the house and go in our bedroom sliding door and hang out in the hot tub, watch movies etc.We have even brought pizza back in with us and had dinner in peace and comfort without having to go out to a restaraunt. (:
Our big kids have never caught on to it....so don't blow our cover. (:

thomalee said...

Happy Birthday Amy!! I'm glad you had a nice day...what day isn't great with a nap and some chocolate cake? Not to mention a night out on the town!