Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The Woes of Week 11

Week 11 was a short Academy week, thanks to Christmas. It was also the first week they had alone with the staff now that the seniors have graduated. Luckily most of the staff was on vacation so there wasn't really too much negative attention. There was one little thing, though...

Jay noticed that his name was on the board indicating he was supposed to report to the staff office, so of course he reported as soon as possible all the while wondering what he was in trouble for. There were several other people reporting ahead of him and he overheard one of them getting yelled at for failing a test, so Jay was worried that he had failed the test, too. Failing a test means a weekend restriction, and more importantly, it means a very unhappy wife. Luckily for both of us Jay did not fail the test. In fact, he wasn't in trouble at all. The staff had decided that anyone who had yet to receive a gig* was going to get one, come heck or high water. Lucky Jay! So basically they grilled him on various subjects until he answered one wrong, and then they gave him a gig for "lack of knowledge." Oh, and he also had a speck of lint on his uniform, so the gig indicated he also had a messy uniform. It's a good thing Jay is the one going through this and not me, because that would frustrate me beyond belief! I would never make it past the first week.

Week 11 also brought Jay's first attempt at the Skid Pan. He spent several hours learning how to negotiate the ultra-slick course and he did well and had fun. He did not pass, however. He has 3 more attempts, and we're confident he'll pass on one of them. The instructor said he was getting it but that he just needed to "smooth it out" and be more consistent. We don't know when his next attempt will be, but it should be soon.

You would think it was a bad week because of the gig and the Skid Pan ... and PT three times a week... and our Corolla deciding not to work... but surprisingly, it was okay. Because our Corolla was acting up (it's okay now), the kids and I picked Jay up on Friday. When I pulled up to the Academy gate I spoke with the officer on duty for a few minutes. He was very friendly and gave me some words of encouragment, which was very kind. When he lifted the gate to let me in I said "Thanks, Officer," then pulled forward. There was a gasp from the back of the van and Natalie exclaimed, "Was that a REAL police officer?!" She was a little awestruck. I said "Yep. He's a Highway Patrolman like Daddy is going to be." Bea yelled, "WHAT?!" Like it was news to her that Jay's going to be an officer! My kids... they're just like their dad... a little nutty, but very sweet.


3 comments:

Meghan said...

I don't think that's fair at all... It's a good thing I'm not there either - I'd never make it through one day. You and Jay are always in our prayers. Keep going and let me know if you ever need anything.

Jen said...

Okay, I know you probably don't know me, but you may know my sister, Adrienne...anyway, this message is for Jay (and you too)...this is Jen "Kusch" Hale...Jeremy Browne told me about your blog...your family is so cute. My hubby is a police officer too, so I totally know what you are going through. anyway, just wanted you to know that I stumbled across your blog and you guys look great. You can check out our blog at:
www.therexburghalefamily.blogspot.com

Chris and Rita said...

I would have quit, too. I always tell Chris that I would have never made it through basic training. I would have told them to kiss off and walked away.Jay is amazing!