Monday, January 21, 2008

Week 14 done + Monterey = a nice weekend

Well, for the first time in 14 weeks, I forgot to take a picture of Jay standing next to his signs. My mind must have been on something else... like trying to figure out a way to speed up time during the week but slow it down on the weekends. I'm sure there's a machine that can do all that. You guys know a lot about "cyberspace," right? Maybe you can help me out with this. Just don't suggest one of these...

...I've already learned my lesson.

Anyway. I feel like I start every Academy recap with "It was a busy week." It's not very original but it's true, and Week 14 was no exception. On Tuesday they had their PPP Test (physical performance... something), which they are required to pass to graduate. The test consists of various physical tests including a hill climb, obstacle course, 100 yd dash, and a 500 yd run in full gear. I can't imagine that it's much fun running in a bullet-proof vest with your holster jiggling around, but they have to get used to it. It's not like they can say, "Hold on Scoundrel, let me change into some sweats." (Although that would be awesome. I'm imagining a Wonder Woman type of spin here...)

One of the cadets (it wasn't Jay, I swear) left his baton on top of the hill during the hill climb and by the time he realized it, the PT instructor had chucked the baton into the forest! It's kind of funny when it's not your baton. Anyway, Jay passed his test, so that's one more requirement we can cross off the list.

The rest of the week was filled with range, Spanish, patrol techniques, etc. They are moving into a new phase of their training where they are applying what they have been learning over these past few months. It's kind of exciting!

And so Friday came (yeah!) and Jay came home for the weekend. It was a nice relaxing one since Jay actually did not have any homework. We spent Saturday in Monterey with Betsy, just checking out the sights and enjoying the day together. Jay and I spent part of our honeymoon in Monterey so we always enjoy taking a trip down memory lane. As always, the weekend was over too fast. We parted Sunday night, both of us a little down, but what can you do? Only 13 weeks to go. We can do it! (right?)


Our little family in Monterey



Checking out the boats & sea lions


Stopping at Thrifty for a scoop of cylindrical ice cream


Jay enjoying a break from the Training Table

(Sorry babe, I had to do it!)

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Closer to the end than the beginning, right? Hang in there, it'll all be worth it!

Janet + Craig said...

Oh my goodness! No that's a picture he wants his favorite Srgt. to get ahold of huh? LOVED IT!!! We're praying hard for him and his roomie!

bren said...

Ever see that episode of Seinfeld where (unbeknownst to him) George is filmed eating a sundae during a tennis match and ends up being made fun of on tv? His girlfriend breaks up with him because it was so unattractive. That was a great episode. This picture is nowhere near that bad.