Natalie is now in 2nd grade! Agh!
When we went back to school shopping, she honed in on this shirt/vest combo, and there was no talking her out of it. Not that I was trying to, but *someone* was. I guess he thought it looked a little too hip for our 7 year old. She said she liked it because it had sparkles, so he showed her every other sparkly top in Target, but no dice. Then she explained that she liked the vest, so he said, "Oh, there are vests over here," and proceeded to try the 'ol bait & switch with a cardigan. Not happening, old man. I can't wait until she's a teenager, if for no other reason than to watch Jay sweat.
She looked adorable and was excited about her first day. Of course there was some sadness and some missing of her SJ friends, but she was brave and confident, and not a tear was shed.
And, as hard as it is to believe, my Beatrice is old enough for Kindergarten!
(She desperately wanted to hold up a finger indicating her grade level, so Jay taught her the letter "K" in sign language)
Bea's still at the age where Jay can steer her clothing choices in his preferred direction. She did pick out the purple color though, which was not a surprise.
She was enthusiastic about starting school, but like Natalie, she was a little sad about the friends she left behind in SJ. The main person she pines for is her good friend Sydney. When she noticed that there was a Sidney (spelled with an "i") in her new class, she turned to me with the happiest eyes, and it was up to me to crush her hopes and her dreams. I was a little afraid that the presence of a new Sidney would unleash some stalkerish tendencies, but so far, so good.
The first few days have gone well, although both girls (along with their mom, for that matter), are definitely still adjusting. Natalie is enjoying her classwork and teacher, and from the little that Bea tells me, she is enjoying her class and her teacher as well. It will take time for us all to feel as comfortable as we were in SJ, but we're making our best efforts and leaving the rest up to the Lord.
Dexter was none too happy about being left behind. But, he has learned a new phrase: kindergarten playground.
Every time I see this picture, my heart breaks a teeny bit


6 comments:
amy so cute. i love dexters disappointing glare--too funny. the girls walking away really does paint a picture on your heart--i get it.
Doesn't it though? But just to be clear, I did walk them to school. They were just way too excited to walk as slow as I do. :)
How is life with only one at home?
I love this post bc I can relate. Im so glad to hear that you and the girls are adjusting.
And I thought Natalie was flashing the PEACE sign....
Oh how I miss all of you...
Such a sweet family.
Mom
Love the trees and shrubs in your neighborhood. So green!
so cute. natalie does look hip and cool... and that's hilarious that jay was steering her away from her deired outfit. ah, fathers and daughters. sweet.
Post a Comment