Members of my church have been counseled for generations to set aside a little reserve for the hard times that inevitably come. A little reserve of money, and a little reserve of food. 3 months of food storage is recommended, and a year's supply of essentials is encouraged. Some people may think that this practice is a bit strange. I guess I can see why it might come across as a little paranoid, but let me tell you, it sure comes in handy...
Imagine if you will, a young mother at home late one night, depressed because things aren't going her way. The young 'uns are all asleep, her husband is toiling away at his place of employment. The young mother wants comfort food. She goes to her cupboard, intent on whipping up a batch of cookie bars, but alas! She is missing several ingredients. She can't go to the store and leave her babies alone. What is she to do?!?
If the young mother is prepared, she has no reason to fear. She simply goes to the garage (or closet, or under the bed), grabs a box of cake mix and a bag of chocolate chips, and gets back to the kitchen! In no time flat, the cookie bars are made and consumed, and the spiral of depression is stopped. Happiness returns. And it is all because of food storage.
Betsy's Cookie Bars
(super simple, super good)
1 box cake mix (yellow, white, or chocolate)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cube of butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
3 tbsp of water
Mix all ingredients together (I mix by spoon, no electric mixer)
Stir in one 12-oz bag of chocolate chips
Spread mixture into a 9 x 13 (or similiar) pan, and bake for 20 minutes** at 375.
Viola.
(**maybe longer, depending on the oven, as Betsy correctly points out in the comments) :)


10 comments:
Those sound so good and easy to make!! Thanks for passing on the recipe. I plan to make it just as soon as the peach cobbler my mom made is gone. ;)
You may want to cook them a little longer.... depends on the oven.
Mom
(did you have a bad night?...sorry)
Mmmm! Way to be prepared. I'll have my daughter make some (I'm NOT the baker of the fam).
Hey Mom - no, I didn't have a bad night. This is actually an old post that I had forgotten to publish. I think I write it one night when Jay was working graveyards. :)
I'll have to make sure to stock up on those "essentials" next time they're on sale. My food storage is a lot less fun than yours. :)
Oh yes, chocolate chips are indeed essentials in our house, Colleen! :)
I love it.....you are so funny. I have had that same scenario happen to me before. (:
I'll have to save this recipe for one of those NIGHTS... whenever it decides to drop in unwelcomed. ;P
Here's another reason why food storage is *not* paranoid:
Youngish couple with two kids finally finishes grad school and has to front the cost of moving 2,000 miles to start a new job. Oh, and the first full paycheck doesn't come for a month.
Without our storage, we would've starved.
Awesome, Jeremy! We also used ours when we took a paycut for me to come home & Jay to go to the Academy. It was a huge help!
Post a Comment