Tuesday, June 9, 2009

An Ode to a Man (Who Is Not My Husband)

When I was beginning those horribly awkward teenage years, I was blessed to meet a new friend. A boy, actually. A boy who liked me despite my braces and my Cure t-shirt with mismatching gold cardigan ("borrowed" from my sister, naturally). A boy who sat next to me in science class and passed me notes to be read after school. A boy who would listen to my tales of woe as I tried to sort my way through the aftermath of my parent's divorce and all the other complicated feelings of adolescence. A boy who invited me over to his house to bake cookies and watch movies. A boy who always tried to do what was right. A boy who stood up for his beliefs.

A boy who changed my life.

18 years ago, that boy gave me the greatest gift that can be given. He taught me of Jesus Christ, and the restoration of His Gospel. He taught me by word and by action about the members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He was there as I learned and changed, and as I entered the waters of baptism, which was the catalyst for all the tremendous blessings in my life.

Because of him, I have my beloved Jay. Because of him, my children know and love Jesus Christ. Because of him, countless generations after me will be blessed.

And I don't know if I've ever thanked him.

So today, with a full heart I say.....

Thank you, Jeremy.


9 comments:

Brooke said...

Okay, so I wasn't quite sure of that first part (you don't want to think of your husband being all cutsy with other girls). But, that was totally sweet, and I'm glad we're friends and that I've gotten to know you and your family.

The Fear Fam said...

I was a little worried that it would come across weird, but I figured after 18 years, it would be ok. :) I'm glad that you guys have stayed in our lives after all these years!

Greg and Shellie Lomenick said...

That was beautiful. And I'm sure that your husband is just as thankful for that friend because without Jeremy, Jay wouldn't have you.

Jeremy said...

Has it been that long?

I'm a bit uncomfortable here - not that I don't appreciate the gushing. Despite how I may have felt as a self-important teenager, it was all you... and my parents... and your parents... and the girls in the 16th ward... and Bro Bradford seeing you over and over at dances... and, yes, Brent for taking you to your first dance.

But mostly it was you. I mean, and what normal 1991 schoolgirl even thought about their life beyond "Will he ask me to dance to Bryan Adams' Everything I Do, or So Hard to Say Goodbye by Boyz II Men?"

And you know your life hasn't been a bed of roses since (especially before Jay). So, I'll accept your gratitude, but remember that it was you.

The Fear Fam said...

Yes, 18 years to the day! In many ways, it doesn't seem that long ago. And Jeremy, you're right... there were many, many other people who were good examples to me. But you started it. :) You had the guts to speak up.

And you're also right that I was different that other girls... but only because I liked Depeche Mode instead of Boyz II Men. ;)

robin said...

very touching, amy. that's awesome . . .

Brenda said...

Now I'm all teary. I'm not sure if it's because of the rad story or missing the days of Brian Adams.

just us said...

Thats great. . . I loved that story! :o)

Sara said...

This was a touching story. I LOVE to hear about conversion stories.
Oh and BTW... I was a Cure and Depeche Mode gal myself. Still sleep in those old concert T's. LOL