One of the wonderful-and-at-the-same-time-frightening things about having children is that inevitably one of them will have a trait that frustrates you because it reminds you so much of yourself. Such is the case with my eldest child and me. She has a tad bit of the perfectionist about her and therefore has a bit (read: huge amount) of anxiety about trying something new unless she is certain she will excel.
For example: A few months ago she and I got in a huge argument before school because I offered to give her a quarter to buy milk at lunch. She had recently lost her water bottle, so I was trying to be nice and let her have some chocolate milk at lunch instead of having to drink out of the water fountain. But she didn't see it that way. She had never bought *just* milk before, and because she didn't know the exact procedure, she freaked out. It led to an argument, and we parted in a huff. Eventually, Jay had to go to the school to bring her the milk money and explain the situation to her teacher, who then had another student show her how to negotiate the milk-only line. Now that she's done it once, buying milk is no problem at all.
I am so similar to this it makes me want to scream.
I used to be much better about trying new things. Or perhaps I'm looking back on my life through rose-colored glasses, I don't know. All I do know is that I get so worked up and nervous about trying new things that it sort of takes the joy out of life. And... I don't like it. So with that in mind I have decided to have a new focus this year, based on the Word of the Year idea I've seen on many blogs lately. And so...
My word of the year is TRY.
As in, try new things and try not to be a wuss about them.
How am I doing on this goal thus far? Well... pretty good, I think. I have tried Greek food with Jay (at a place in Willow Glen called Opa's! - seriously good stuff), and I auditioned for a play my church is putting on. I don't know which experience was scarier for me! Kidding, the audition was scarier, but I am so glad I did it. I loved performing in high school and college, but it has been a very long time since I've attempted anything of that nature. You can imagine how nervous I was. I made a good friend come with me, and I'm glad I did because now we're in the play together! I even have some singing parts - *gulp*. I'm a little nervous about that, but I know it's going to be a fun experience.
So... that's my goal this year. To try new things. Some things are going to be little, some are going to be big, but regardless, I'm going to try to approach them with enthusiasm and courage. The only fear I want in my life is my last name.
Monday, January 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
LUKE: All right, I’ll give it a try.
YODA: No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.
Sry... I couldn't repress my inner geek.
I know, Jer, I know.
Great post! Love the new outlook on the year, I'll have to give my 2009 theme a little more thought and get back to you! Good luck in the play, I'm jealous!
Good for you Amy! Proud of you.
Mom
What a great focus you have for this year. It sounds like you're off to a great start. Just so you know, I wish I was a bit of a perfectionist.
Joyce told me excitedly about you two making the try-outs. That is so awesome! Way to TRY something out again. ;) Can't wait to see it.
I LOVE LOVE your post about your oldest. I have been having these same "reflections in a mirror" experiences with my daughter also. She is JUST LIKE ME. GOOD and BAD. And I find myself telling her things that I almost laugh at myself midsentence knowing these words of wisdom are NOT AT ALL what she wants to hear or needs too. LOL It didn't work on me then, so why even try it on her.
I love your attitude about it all. I will TRY and be more patient with her personality traits that are just like mine. ;P
I'm very much like you in that respect. I hate change. I like doing things I'm good at, so it's hard to try things I might be bad at.
That greek place always looks PACKED! I figure it must be good. But my tongue is even more scared of new things than my pride.
I seriously considered going out for that play, but didn't know how it work into my schedule, and I never really investigated it. But if you have time with 4 kids, then I MUST with only 3 right? Keep us updated, maybe we'll come see it!
Good for you! I hope I get to come watch the play :)
Post a Comment