Monday, November 17, 2008

I couldn't stand it any longer...

Barbie (or in this case, Belle), needed a serious makeover. Check out the kind of clothes they sell for Barbie's these days:

It barely covers her plastic buttcheeks! Not exactly the kind of image I want my girls to emulate. So... I took matters into my own hands:


Much better, yes?
And so as not to play favorites, Giselle got a new skirt, too.

Now those are the kind of girls you can take home to Mom!

I made the skirt pattern myself (I just lengthened the "skirt" you saw in the first picture), and used fabric scraps, embellished with some rick-rack. I'll probably make a few more and figure out how to make some tops, too. I'm so glad to have found a use for my fabric scraps, and even happier that the girls' dolls are now proper little ladies. I knew that semester in fashion design school would pay off someday...

9 comments:

Chris and Rita said...

Amy, I hope you don't mind me sending your girls the "Bratz" Rock Concert dolls for Christmas. I've already bought them and have them wrapped and ready to go.
(: Rita

Chris and Rita said...

Oh , and also I might be able to hook you up with some backstage passes to Hannah Montana.
Rita
p.s.
I better be their FAV aunt after this!
(:

The Fear Fam said...

Rita - is this payback for the possessed bunny we sent you? :)

megh said...

Awesome, Amy! I am going to need to get that pattern before Ellie starts getting Barbies. Brenden would FREAK OUT if he saw some of the clothes they sell these days. Great job!

Sara said...

you are my mama hero! what a great idea for scrap fabric. You should add your pattern to Tip Junkie! so are you taking orders for Christmas? ;P

robin said...

whoa. you are way too cool for school. look at you!!

haven't those barbies ever watched "what not to wear"? don't they know that it's classier to be covered?! geez louise.

Powers Fam said...

Too Cute! What a great idea Amy. The Barbies Julia has were her Grammy Susie's Barbies and their clothes were more modest back then. I won't let her play with them yet-they look like they could be collectibles. But I love the idea of making clothes for the dolls she will get in the future. :)

Brenda said...

We aren't at that stage yet. But I'm not looking forward to the skanky doll years.

thomalee said...

i love it! can you make me one in adult size please?