What is it about the grocery store that makes children turn into little disobedient monkeys?
First of all, the girls insisted on the pink car cart. You know, the one that's a complete beast to maneuver? The one that they think is fun for the first five minutes and then decide to get in and out of 400 times? And why is it that when they get out they without fail decide to stand right in front of the cart? It's like they are begging to get run over so they can slap me with a lawsuit.
I don't know if I even have the energy to go into the details of the trip, but let's just say this: Besides the cart fiasco, the whining for this and that, Bea dropping a jar of pickles, and the complete lack of good sales ($1.59 for canned green beans? I think not.), this trip came with an extra-special ending. After an hour of shooting down 99% of the girls' requests and trying to keep a screaming Dexter happy, I pulled the massive cart into the checkout line. I unloaded the groceries and got out my wallet ... oh no oh no oh no oh no!!!! Then I started saying it out loud, "oh no oh no oh no," as my cheeks burned red. The cashier astutely asks, "Is something wrong?" YES!! Something is wrong!!! My debit card is in the back pocket of my jeans... my other jeans! And the only credit card I carry happens to be expired. Fan-freakin-tastic.
Talk about embarrassing. The girls are wondering what's wrong as we start to leave the store without food, when the very helpful bagger lady tells them "Mommy didn't have enough money so she has to come back." NO, that is not what happened lady! I can pay for my groceries! I'm just an idiot for never putting my card back in my wallet. Ugh! So the cashier, who actually was very nice, put my cart in grocery jail while I loaded up the kids, drove home, got my debit card, drove back, unloaded the kids, waited to bail out my groceries, and finished checking out.
Man. I think I'm going to use safeway.com from now on... I don't even care about the $10 delivery fee anymore.
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
amy -- let me just say that i am a HUGE fan of safeway.com. Same sales, same products -- yet no hassle, no lines, no screaming kids. plus, i have NEVER paid the $10.00! The first order they will give you for free and then every time we order, they send us another coupon for free delivery. so that's my sales pitch for safeway. hehehe. good luck!
I was clicking around and come across your blog. I was friends with your husband growing up. Please tell him hello. It looks like you guys have a great life. Leslie Jensen
daveandles.blogspot.com
You crack me up...I have pushed the same cart and tried to keep from running over the kids...or had two of them fighting in the car part...because one had a horn that squeaked and the other one's did not work.....
They didn't have Safeway.com or I would have considered it!!!
See you this weekend.
Mom
Uugg. I hate shopping with the kiddies. I feel your pain.
You're a true champ! Grocery shopping with 3 kids? I have to admit I'm still afraid of going with 2! And I HATE the huge cart and am usually the mean mom that says no about riding in it :)
"It's like they are begging to get run over so they can slap me with a lawsuit."
Mark my words: In five-to-ten years, the big cash cow for lawyers will be adult children suing their parents for everything from little accidents to sub-par upbringing.
I was cracking up reading this. Sounds like quite the memorable shopping experience. You are brave to shop with three kids. I am a wuss and go when Don gets home so I don't have to battle my one.
Post a Comment