Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Pioneer Dresses Are Really Quite Versatile

A few weeks ago, Natalie needed to do a report and presentation on a historical figure for school. She chose Florence Nightengale.


What a cutie!

She already knew a little bit about The Lady With The Lamp because of a book we have, but she loved learning more. She did a fantastic job with her presentation (she has Jay's memorization skills), and was one of five kids asked to do their presentation for the Principal! Natalie was very excited.

The costume consisted of a Princess Leila dress, a Laura Ingalls apron and bonnet (turned backward), a homemade sash and ruffly cuffs, and of course, the all important lamp, which we found at Goodwill for 3 bucks.

I think I'm going to make the kids dress up like historical figures once a week, it's just so cute. What do you think? Cal as George Washington?

4 comments:

Powers Fam said...

She is a cutie!! Awesome job on the costume. Just goes to show you that you should always keeps a costume box around. And the lamp? 3 bucks?!!? I soo need to go to my local thrift stores.

Chris and Rita said...

Oh, I remember that sewing marathon I did in one day to make that pioneer dress! I am soooo glad it is still being put to good use. She looks so cute.
Good job, Natalie!!

The Fear Fam said...

Yes, we get a lot of use out of it, Rita! I'm so thankful for your sewing skills! :) I have the pattern and fabric for an adult pioneer dress that I've been wanting to make for about 6 years now. One day ........ :) Maybe we should do a swap ... I'll come pick paint colors for your house and you can make my Pioneer dress. LOL! I think I'd be getting the better end of that bargain. :)

Gramma Betsy said...

Good job Florence, I mean Natalie. Thank you for teaching me a lot of new things about Florence Nightengale when I came to visit. I love you Natalie.
Costumes are the greatest...you never know when they will come in handy....
Mom