Here's a list of what he included. I'm rocking out to #21 right now.
The question is, what songs would you add?
1) If You Leave (OMD)
2) Walk Like An Eqyptian (The Bangles)
3) Karma Chameleon (Culture Club)
4) Jump (Van Halen)
5) Policy of Truth (Depeche Mode)
6) Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough (Michael Jackson)
7) You're So Vain (Carly Simon)
8) Forever Young (Alphaville)
9) Oh l'Amour (Erasure)
10) Glory Days (Bruce Springsteen)
11) Red Rain (Peter Gabriel)
12) The Reflex (Duran Duran)
13) Jessie's Girl (Rick Springfield)
14) Faith (George Michael)
15) Everybody Wants to Rule The World (Tears for Fears)
16) Mony Mony (Billy Idol)
17) Mandy (Barry Manilow) - I think it's hilarious that it comes after Billy Idol
18) Who Can It Be Now? (Men at Work)
19) Head Over Heels (Tears for Fears)
20) Your Love (The Outfield)
21) The Promise (When in Rome)
22) Dancing in the Dark (Bruce Springsteen)
23) Drive (The Cars)
24) Total Eclipse of the Heart (Bonnie Tyler) - if you haven't watched this version on YouTube, then you haven't lived.
25) Just Like Heaven (The Cure)
26) More Than Words (Extreme)
27) The Heart of Rock & Roll (Huey Lewis and the News)
28) Don't Stop Believin' (Journey)
29) With or Without You (U2)
If you're ever bored, you can look up a lot of the original videos of these songs on YouTube. It's quite entertaining. But for now, get commenting! I know there are some awesome songs I missed. (But don't say "Tainted Love." Oh, how it irritates me!) :)


11 comments:
Great mix for sure!! (Culture Club?)
Mom
"Walk Like An Egyptian" was my theme song in 2nd grade. I LOVED the Bangles. I'm baffled that you have left out Nelson's "Love and Affection". HELLO!
oh my gosh, nelson! love and affection! awesome.
that list is awesome. the promise, with or without you, more than words. wow. memories.
i have to say, "what's up" by 4 non blondes is classic. and, not to bring up any sort of awkwardness, but this song always reminds me of dancing with your husband at stake dances and singing as loudly as we could... i'm sure we weren't obnoxious AT all.
oh, november rain by guns n' roses. that's a good one too...
really, i could go on and on...
Wow Robin.... awwwwkkkward.
LOL! Just kidding. You had Jay cracking up. But I do have to say, I'm glad I missed you guys singing that song... I don't know that it would have left a favorable impression, with regards to Jay's singing, at least. ;)
Right now, said husband is dancing to Groove Is In The Heart, another classic that will have to be added to the list.
Also, anything by Belinda Carlisle (my first concert! At Great America, no less!) and Two Princes, a fabulous one-hit-wonder that irritates Jay to no end.
Brenda - LOL about Nelson! I have to admit I had forgotten about them and that song. How I forgot that hair, I'll never know.
I should not have read this. Now my mental playlist will shuffle (and repeat) through these for the next three days.
This is a great list, but why no "When I See You Smile" by Bad English? :) (I feel awkward just typing that...)
I would also add "Pictures of You" by the Cure, but that might over-represent proto-emo.
Finally, I can't stand "Oh, l'amour" in which Andy consistently mistakes "love" (l'amour) for "death" (la mort). I'd have "Blue Savannah Song" instead.
On more thing: The point in Napoleon Dynamite where I laughed the hardest was when they enter the school dance and "Forever Young" is playing. Brooke looked at me like I was insane.
good stuff i say. i'm with robin, i remember us white kids gettin down to lots of those. i can clearly picture us stomping around like banchees to "and i would walk 500 miles and i would walk 500 more". i believe there is a picture somewhere of shannon and i holding jay in a handstand at a dance. oh yikes we were silly!
Laurie - that is a great mental picture! Jay started cracking up as I read it out loud. And "500 miles" is one of those songs that I love even though it's completely irritating! :) Thanks for reminding me.
Jeremy - I knew you'd have a great comment! I think I prefer "Pictures of You" as well, but we already owned "Just Like Heaven," and I don't know if I'm ready to spend another .99 (or $1.29) on Robert Smith. And "When I See You Smile," will have to be added. That is awesome. That song brings to mind another few that should be added: Everything I Do (Bryan Adams) and Groovy Kind of Love (Phil Collins, naturally).
How could you leave out A Flock of Seagulls 'I Ran'? (They were the inspiration for our band An Unkindness of Ravens, remember?)
BTW, we haven't practiced in awhile; we're probably a bit rusty.
Jegg! How could I forget an Unkindness of Ravens? Let me know when the next practice is, and I'll be there!
Wow, this is a pretty good list so I've been thinking on it for a few days now. Here's a few of my favs (or not-so-fav, but still stuck with me) that weren't already listed:
R.E.M. "Losing My Religion"
Madonna "Vogue"
Nirvana "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
Guns N Roses "Sweet Child O' Mine"
Duran Duran "Rio"
Tina Turner "What's Love Got to Do with It"
Pseudo Echo "Funkytown"
Simple Minds "Don't You Forget About Me"
One more (yes, I have been thinking about it): "I'll Be There" by Escape Club and "Dead Man's Party" by Oingo Boingo.
Post a Comment