Hello Friends & Family,
As you all should know by now, about two weeks ago Amy and I received a wonderful gift from the Lord. His name is Dexter and so far hasn't given us much trouble. During one of my turns getting up with Dex I got to thinking about how I could change my life for the better. I was inspired by Morgan Spurlock's TV show 30 days,(that we got with our Netflix 2 week trial) where he tries something for 30 days to see if he can, or if it will change his life for better or worse. He tried living on minimum wage, living as a Muslim, and taking anti-aging meds to name a few. None of which I could afford to do, but I got to thinking of simple things that I could do that might have a profound impact in my life and possibly the life of those around me.
So I am going to spend the next 30 days doing something different in my life. Maybe even something I should be doing anyways but that I don't do as much as I should.
I want to invite each of you to try this out with me. I would be interested in how it impacts your life. What changes if any it has on you.
Here is a list of ideas that I have been thinking of.
30 days of......
Reading at least 5 pages of scripture. (that's equivalent to Matthew, Mark & Luke)
Refraining from eating sugar or flour
Doing a good deed daily
Give your spouse a kiss. A real kiss. Like when you were dating kiss.
Not raising your voice (to anyone)
No Caffeine
Reading the scriptures with you spouse
No TV (movies too)
Playing a game with you kid(s)(no matter how old they are)
Saying sincere and heartfelt prayers morning and night
Learning about a different religion than your own. Find out what it is that they believe. IE Buddhism, Islam, Judaism, Mormons, Hinduism,Catholicism etc....
Exercise (walking, running, biking, tae bo, sweatin' to the oldies)
If you have something you are trying to quit IE alcohol, smoking, biting your nails - now is as good a chance as ever.
If you have any suggestions or other ideas let us all know. This is just the starting list.
As for myself I am going to not eat sugar or flour for the next 30 days. I have an Academy to get ready for so I need to jump-start my diet and exercise program. Amy and I are also going to search the scriptures as a couple.
If you feel like taking part in this let me know. I would like to know how it is going so feel free to email whenever you can. Make sure to put up reminders around the house, dashboard, monitor, cupboard. I hope to hear from all of you soon. Pass this on to anyone else you think might be interested.
Jay
Tuesday, April 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Jay- I like the way you think.
I have been reading a lot of self-improvement books lately, both for work and my personal life.I am just starting to read "The Secret". I will let you know if it is any good.
I am working on being more patient. As you know, a 2 year old is very challenging on your patience. Many of my employees are worse.
I vow not to raise my voice for 30 days.
Good luck in your venture. Remember if you have any questions about diet or exercise, you know who to ask!
We will stop by to meet the new little man the first weekend in May!
Kristen
Like Kristen, I've seen the list of 100 things from "the secret" and I printed them out today in fact. I had the thought to read those every day at the beginning of work. Maybe I'll do that for 30 days. We've also been challenging ourselves to prayers both morning and night, and I think that would also be a good solid 30 day goal, where it gets reset if we don't do it the first time.
I'm so glad to hear that you all are coming up with your own 30 day goals. It's awesome! Let us know how you are progressing. Kristen, I think you've picked a VERY challenging goal! I know you can do it, though!
Post a Comment