Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Hard to Believe It's the Same Room!

We've been very busy with home projects 'round these parts lately, some more successful than others. (When I've recovered sufficiently, I'll give you the run down on what I am dubbing the "New Floor Fiasco.") In the meantime, you can see part of our new floors in our updated family room, which I am extremely excited about!

Here's how the room looked when we moved in. Note the off-white carpet (which was also in the dining room). You can imagine how it looked after a year of abuse by four kids...


Here's Jay gleefully removing the beast of a fireplace:


And here's the final product (well, if you don't count baseboards and a desk chair...shhhh!):



(a little more straight-on shot)

Other side, with our DVD locker and a Bea-in-motion

We are so happy with it. I call it "cozy modern." (I love naming things. I always thought naming lipstick colors would be the greatest job in the world, but naming kids and decorating styles is pretty fun, too.) Anyway, I know the look isn't everyone's style, but we love it! I love having bright colors throughout the house. They really cheer me up.

The details: It's a little hard to see in the picture, but the side walls are light blue, and the fireplace is a beautiful mosaic glass tile from Modwalls called "White Linen." The fireplace walls are the same Aurora Orange we used in the upstairs hall and for the polka dots in the stairwell. The floors are stained concrete, 2 shades of gray and a metallic blue epoxy. I can't tell you who did the work because I've taken a vow to never speak the company's name again... (told you it was a fiasco!)

Next up, I'll show you what we used that corrugated metal for!

9 comments:

Chris and Rita said...

Wow! What a transformation! You guys are so talented!

Maren said...

Seriously amazing! You are very talented, my friend. You say maybe not everyone's style, but who could not love it? Perhaps after the kids are older you can go to work in the lipstick industry--I've heard it is tough to break into but maybe you can start in nail polish and work your way up.

The Fear Fam said...

@ Maren - ha!! Too bad I bite my nails...I'll never break in!

Brenda said...

I heart it and love light blue. I think you and I were conjoined twins that were separated at birth.

robin said...

it looks AMAZING! really, really good job you guys! i love it.

i want to hear more about the concrete floors. i've always been curious about them...

Powers Fam said...

I love the cheery colors!!!! You need those on the grey winter days. Room looks awesome. :)

Brooke said...

Loooovvvve It! You inspire me to get to work sprucing up our house. :)

J and A said...

I thought the magazine racks would be one per kid, but after enlarging the photo, I'm thinking three of your non-Ensign readers probably aren't reading dwell magazine:)

That's quite a transformation - looking forward to seeing these hard-fought for floors in person.
-Josh

Sara said...

WOW! What a difference. Seriously, you and Jay were born in the wrong decade. Or maybe not...since you're bringing it back but with a more modern twist. How do you like the concrete as flooring. I'm curious as to how hard it is for falls and dropping things...you know..with kids and all.