Thursday, March 12, 2009

Priorities

I'm not sure what happened to my husband, but he actually wants to go back to Disneyland. With the girls. In the near future. I am pleased, but nevertheless confused. This is the same man who didn't want to go until Natalie was 10 or 12 years old, and now he wants to go twice in one year! Perhaps there really is magic in the Magic Kingdom, after all. 

So, now we add another trip to Disneyland to our ever-growing list of things we want and/or need to do and/or purchase. The list is adding up quite quickly, and living on one income means setting some priorities. Unfortunately for the girls, Disneyland Part Duex is way down on the list. There's a plethora of dental work that needs to be done, and software for the new computer, and family pictures in the Fall (finally!), and Christmas to save for. So with all that in mind, we have created this:
It is our Disneyland jar. We are putting all our spare change and whatever else we feel like contributing (no marbles or plastic beads, Bea!) into it to save for our next trip. I have a feeling it's going to take a while. Oh well. We will teach our children (and ourselves) the value of saving and setting priorities. The girls emptied their piggy banks into the jar of their own free will, and Natalie even contributed her last dollar from the tooth fairy. We'll see how long the enthusiasm lasts. And we'll see how long Jay lasts before he starts moving Disneyland up the priority list.... the old softie. 

5 comments:

Gramma Betsy said...

I love it! Maybe I should loan you my counting the contents savings jar, so you will know what the balance is....and not be forced to count it all the time.

I am not sure what is up with Jay. It certainly doesn't seem like him, does it?

Maybe you can start selling Calvin's outgrown clothing on eBay...
Some of my old movies or perhaps some charms? Just kidding.
Mom

Anonymous said...

We save all of our change in a "college fund jar." We started when I was pregnant with Will. Unfortunately for our kids, we don't use cash very often. And there's a lot of them now. So, we MIGHT be able to pay for Will's books his first semester. Yay! :)

The Fear Fam said...

Hehe! Your cause is much more noble, Colleen!

Chris and Rita said...

Can we come along to Disney with you? Adam and John would love to go! To go with my inlaws to Orlando they have to be 10yrs old.I think Disney has already lost its magic by the time a boy is ten. They are more into Universal Studios etc.

The Fear Fam said...

Of course you can come, Rita! That would be so much fun!!