Thursday, February 19, 2009

We're back!

You may not believe it (as I hardly believe it myself), but after a year or two of nagging asking Jay, we finally took the girls to Disneyland! Look! I even have photographic proof:


The trip was very spontaneous, which is not my forte, but hey! I'm trying new things this year. We hastily made arrangements two days before our intended departure, and we kept the whole thing a secret from the girls. On Sunday I had them put together a puzzle I made of a picture of Sleeping Beauty's Castle emblazoned with the words, "We're going to Disneyland!" Natalie's reaction was priceless; she was sure it was a joke. (As if we'd be that cruel!)

The trip was a grand success, if you subtract the huge rain storm on Monday and Jay's emergency root canal. Yep, you heard that right! Poor Jay was up all night Sunday night in major pain. He decided to go to the emergency room at about 2 a.m., where they gave him the name of a local dentist along with a prescription for some painkillers. (Ask Jay about riding the Matterhorn while on vicadin....) Monday afternoon he made it to a dentist who gave him a root canal, and by Monday evening he was feeling like himself again.

The rain wasn't that bad, once we forked over $7.50 per poncho (with official Disneyland markings!). There were virtually no lines, which is what kept us going. Tuesday was a mostly sunny day, and we spent 13 hours total in both parks. Wednesday the weather was the nicest, but by then we were all pretty worn out. We left for home that afternoon, picking up the boys from grandma's on the way. (Thanks, Grandma & Emily!) It was so nice to have "bonding" time with the girls, but I did miss my boys.

Highlights of the trip:
  • The Aladdin Show in California Adventure - I loved the look of awe on the girls' faces
  • Soaring Over California - seriously cool
  • Freaking the girls out on Space Mountain - poor things!
  • Bea's love of the Matterhorn (she rode it 4 times!)
  • Natalie being brave and going on Indiana Jones with Jay
  • Witnessing a proposal in front of the castle - she said yes. :)
  • Disneyland at night - I don't care if Jay makes fun of me for saying it, but... it *is* magical.


10 comments:

Jeremy said...

Sounds like you had a blast.

I feel for Jay - I've been there (to the root canal, not Disneyland... But I have been to Disneyland, just not *with* a root canal... Oh, nevermind!)

I'm sorry if the idea of an... ahem... officer of the peace riding a chemically-enhanced roller coaster puts a grim on my face.

Jeremy said...

Hold the phone!!!!! What did that speedometer say?!?!??! I think Jay should have pulled you over.

The Fear Fam said...

Pull *me* over?! You think *I* was driving that fast?? Yeah, right. I am a wussy driver.

Scott said...

I'm super jealous.

Janet + Craig said...

Looks like such fun times! What a great place to go on the fly. Sorry to hear about the root canal part of it though. That's awful.

The Farrell Family said...

Disneyland is magical! We've been twice this past year and I want more! Glad you guys had fun!

Gramma Betsy said...

The pictures are great. They did have a lot of fun.... I am glad you got to go.
Mom

thomalee said...

So much fun!! I'm glad you had such a great trip...minus the root canal.

Sara said...

what a fun way to spoil your little princesses. AND a root canal story on top of it all??? What a trooper. ;)

Stacey said...

Way to go, guys! I'm so glad you had a fun time. I'm looking forward to that Matterhorn on vicadin story.