Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Automatically Up'd Our Cool Quotient

Well, it's official. We are now Mac people! Our previous computer served us well for many, many years, but it was continually being attacked by various viruses and it was on its last leg. So, after much discussion, we decided to purchase an iMac. 

Jay was told by our friend Dave, who works for Apple, that the smell of a new Mac out of the box was something we had to experience. (Those Apple folks *really* like their products....) So, of course Jay had to check it out. 

Jay claims it smelled like a new car. Smelled like styrofoam to me. I was expecting daisies or strawberries, or at least an ... wait for it... apple orchard. Hehe! Get it?!? Apple orchard??? Cuz it's a Macintosh! Ok... moving on. 

Despite the disappointment with the smell, we are very pleased with the Mac thus far. I love the new screen. I can actually see my beautiful blog background in all of its glory! (My previous monitor cropped the sides and I couldn't see all the cute little retro bottles.) 

There are only two problems:

1) It can't run PAF (Personal Ancestral File), which I use for all my family history files. I'm told I can make it work, but it sounds like a big pain in the patootie. 

2) I thought for sure that every new Mac came with a free black turtleneck and horn-rimmed glasses, but I guess I was wrong. Dave reassured me that they sell them at the Apple store, though. It's a good thing they do, because I don't think I can be a Mac owner without them.

15 comments:

Janet + Craig said...

Apple Orchard... haha.

I think all that you and Jay are doing to stimulate the economy is just great. Way to pitch in and help out! Lucky bums!

The Fear Fam said...

Yeah, too bad it's coming to an end...the tax return was fun while it lasted. :)

Brenda said...

Yes, you are cool. Too cool for us to be friends now. It was nice knowing you. Enjoy your cooler-than-everyone-else computer. I'm going to go back and stare at my Gateway. For shame.

Sara said...

yeah, new toys for mom and dad!

The Spencers said...

Apple orchard!!! Haha! I would have expected the same.

Please try hard not to look down on us lowly PC users as you slowly move over to the dark side! :)

Jeremy said...

Don't worry about looking down on PC users. We Linux geeks look down on you Mac heads. :)

Actually, I'm typing this on my MacBook, and I have an iMac at home. My blog is served off my Linux server (which is actually a decommissioned IBM X20 laptop).

You *can* run PAF on Mac... Well, kind of anyway. If you have the Windows install disc from your old computer, there are two great applications that allow you to run Windows as a program inside of OS X. I use Parallels Desktop ($40), but VM Ware also has a similar product.

You can also start Windows on a Mac using the Boot Camp application... again, if you have the Windows install disc.

PS - Are you donating your old computer?

Jeremy said...

Oh, and considering that I have *two* Macs, and still scored "Nerd God" on that nerdiness scale, I'm not sure that owning a Mac increases your "cool quotient."

:)

The Fear Fam said...

Thanks for squashing all my hopes, Jer!!!

I heard about parallels and will have to check it out.

We're keeping the old computer - for now.

Gramma Betsy said...

Glad you are having fun with the new addition to your family.
Love you all....
Mom

Powers Fam said...

Love Macs!!! I have parallels but haven't used it much. I bought it for some music programs I wanted to run and I thought they were PC only. Guess I should have read the fine print! The one tip I could give....don't mess with any photo folders outside of the actual iPhoto program. I thought I would be cool and reorganize my folders like you can on a PC and I lost some photos. So only organize your photos in the actual program. So is an iPhone in the future.....

Megan said...

Congratulations.

Whois throwing your shower?

Chris and Rita said...

We must be COMPLETE retards then for using our 7 yr old computer.(:

Michelle said...

New computers rock!!! Enjoy it :-)

Greg and Shellie Lomenick said...

Whoa a Mac??? Wow! At least you like it. Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to make the switch. I have to admit that it would be hard switching to a computer that isn't compatable with PAF and doesn't smell like the name.

Stacey said...

Amy, I always figured that if the G.A.'s really wanted me to do my genealogy, they'd make PAF for macs. But, they haven't yet, so I'm off the hook.