Sunday, December 7, 2008

That funny story I mentioned

Picture this:

I am sitting in a hospital bed, anxiously awaiting the "go-ahead" to go into surgery, getting more and more nervous by the minute. I am not generally nervous about the surgery itself, it's the epidural that freaks me out. You would think that having three previous epidurals would make me less frightened, but in fact the opposite is true. So, I'm sitting there, waiting ever so patiently, with Jay and my mom by my side, when the anesthesiologist comes in to give me the run-down and have me sign my life away.

As she's talking to me, I realize that she is the same anesthesiologist that took care of me when Dexter was born. I was comforted by that, because, well, she did a good job the last time. Plus, I remembered that she was very kind (which makes a difference when they are poking you in the back with a humongous needle). As I'm about to mention this to her, I look at Jay and notice that he recognizes her too. But I didn't expect to hear the next words that came out of his mouth:

"Do you remember me?" Jay asked her.

"Um...." she looked at Jay without recognition.

Jay continued, "Did you get pulled over on highway 85 about a month ago?"

The anesthesiologist started turning bright red just as I realized what was happening. I was horrified beyond belief! "Jay!" I yelled, hoping to stop him from continuing his story. For heaven's sake, this woman is about to have my life in her hands and he's reminding her that he pulled her over!

Jay laughed, "It's ok," he looked at me. "I let her off with a warning."

Oh, PHEW!

We all had a good laugh over the situation, although the anesthesiologist was still embarrassed about being pulled over. The story spread like wildfire throughout labor & delivery, and all the nurses started flirting with Jay in hopes that he would remember them if they were ever caught speeding down the 85 as well.

13 comments:

Jeremy said...

Yeah, Jay has all the fun... and he must have a good memory. I can hardly remember my students from last semester.

Brenda said...

That is hysterical. Seriously. And aren't you glad he didn't give her a ticket?

Chris and Rita said...

What a riot! At least she wasn't a DUI stop.(needle accuracy is important)

Laurie Von said...

jay is known for his random humor and personality huh? love that story. so so so happy for you that Calvin (that's the name I voted for--good choice) is here and you're both doing great. i've got you in my thoughts--with these first several weeks being the hardest ones. it really does go fast.

Greg and Shellie Lomenick said...

Oh, you gotta love those nurses. I guess they'll do anything to get out of a ticket like flirt with the husband of a woman who's about to have surgery and deliver a child.

thomalee said...

i love it!

ColleenaMareena said...

"The" 85? What, are you from LA or something now?

We keep hoping to see Jay every time we see a patrol car. All the CHP officers are probably wondering why my family is ogling them as we drive by.....

Glad everything went well! Epidurals are scary. My last one went "spinal" and gave me monster migraines and backaches for two weeks afterwards....I'm going to try to go without this time. We'll see!

Hope you guys are doing well, and I hope to run into you again sometime soon!

Colleen

The Fear Fam said...

Colleen - blame Jay. Everyone he works with calls the freeways "the" whatever, so now it's making it's way into my life, too! :)

Jen said...

That is hilarious. My dad dropped my husband's name when he got pulled over a few months ago, and the cop that pulled my dad over said, "Oh, Deputy Hale? I know him!" and let my dad off with a warning! I can't wait to tell my husband this story! He will get a kick out of it!

just us said...

Thats FUNNY!!!

Allie and Spencer said...

you're right- that is hilarious! Congrats on baby Calvin. I can't wait to see him. Love Allie

Sara said...

Hilarious!!!

Stacey said...

Sooo funny. See, Jay, it's good to let people off with warnings. You never know who might one day be sticking a huge needle down the spine of someone you love.