The last day of Week 2 was a pretty good one for Jay, especially when contrasted with the beginning of the week. (see previous post)
Friday started with a rough PT workout, but Jay made it through again. Yeah! Pull-ups continue to be the bane of his existence but I have confidence that he will conquer them soon. Or at least by the time he’s a senior. And if not... dinkin flicka! You don’t need to do pull-ups to graduate... I think...
After Friday’s PT, on his way to breakfast, a yell is hurdled at Jay from somewhere behind him:
SS: “Hey you!”
Uh-oh.
SS: “Did you even look in the mirror this morning, cadet?!”
Jay: “Yes, ma’am!”
SS: “Are you sure?!”
Jay (knowing he must have missed something): “I think so, ma’am!”
SS: “Then WHY is your back pocket button undone?!?!?! Fix it!!”
The uniform rules are very strict – everything needs to be done perfectly. Jay and his roommates usually look each other over every morning to make sure they haven’t forgotten anything, but apparently they all missed Jay’s back pocket button that morning. Of course, since it was just a bit of yelling it wasn’t that bad. But now that he’s passed the SOP test (whoo hoo!), that kind of small mistake could result in a gig if the Staff Sergeant (SS) got up on the wrong side of the bed that morning.
I realize I’ve focused a lot on the negatives of the Academy (because they make for better stories) however, there are a lot of things that Jay is enjoying. For example, he is enjoying the Vehicle Code and Penal Code classes. He is learning a lot and finding it all very interesting, which is good since it’s going to be his career for the next 25+ years. He especially likes his Penal Code class because the instructor keeps them all laughing and has been known to use Terry Tate videos as part of his instruction. And if you don’t know who Terry Tate is, I highly suggest going here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzToNo7A-94
So far there have been good days and bad days, but in general Jay seems really happy and grateful to be there, training for the career of his dreams. Keep sending happy thoughts and prayers his way... he is feeling them and appreciates them more than you know. He swears that’s how he’s getting through PT every morning, and I’m sure he’s right. So thank you!
Friday started with a rough PT workout, but Jay made it through again. Yeah! Pull-ups continue to be the bane of his existence but I have confidence that he will conquer them soon. Or at least by the time he’s a senior. And if not... dinkin flicka! You don’t need to do pull-ups to graduate... I think...
After Friday’s PT, on his way to breakfast, a yell is hurdled at Jay from somewhere behind him:
SS: “Hey you!”
Uh-oh.
SS: “Did you even look in the mirror this morning, cadet?!”
Jay: “Yes, ma’am!”
SS: “Are you sure?!”
Jay (knowing he must have missed something): “I think so, ma’am!”
SS: “Then WHY is your back pocket button undone?!?!?! Fix it!!”
The uniform rules are very strict – everything needs to be done perfectly. Jay and his roommates usually look each other over every morning to make sure they haven’t forgotten anything, but apparently they all missed Jay’s back pocket button that morning. Of course, since it was just a bit of yelling it wasn’t that bad. But now that he’s passed the SOP test (whoo hoo!), that kind of small mistake could result in a gig if the Staff Sergeant (SS) got up on the wrong side of the bed that morning.
I realize I’ve focused a lot on the negatives of the Academy (because they make for better stories) however, there are a lot of things that Jay is enjoying. For example, he is enjoying the Vehicle Code and Penal Code classes. He is learning a lot and finding it all very interesting, which is good since it’s going to be his career for the next 25+ years. He especially likes his Penal Code class because the instructor keeps them all laughing and has been known to use Terry Tate videos as part of his instruction. And if you don’t know who Terry Tate is, I highly suggest going here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzToNo7A-94
So far there have been good days and bad days, but in general Jay seems really happy and grateful to be there, training for the career of his dreams. Keep sending happy thoughts and prayers his way... he is feeling them and appreciates them more than you know. He swears that’s how he’s getting through PT every morning, and I’m sure he’s right. So thank you!


No comments:
Post a Comment