Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Who Knew I'd Love Avocado Green So Much?

Well, after a short lull, we were bit by the home improvement bug again. I guess the projects really are never-ending around here, but they vary in intensity and they come in spurts, and it feels like it's been a while since I've had one to share on the blog. Lately, we've been working on our living room, and I'm excited to show you some of the changes we've made there. But, that's not what I'm showing you today. (I know, I'm such a tease!)

Before I continue, there is something you need to know about Jay and I.... we are the world's worst gardeners. It's true. I can barely (never) keep plants alive. Thankfully, I'm much better with humans. Anyway, because of this sad reality, Jay and I long ago removed the majority of plants from our front yard. A few remained, however, and they were starting to take over our front yard, stealthily creeping onto our front walkway. It was embarrassing, and we finally said, "Enough!"

This is what the front of the house looked like when we bought it almost three years (!) ago:



These are the changes we made about 1 1/2 ago ... I think. We had removed a lot of plants and had cut back the ones nearer the door, but trust me, they came back in full force.



And this is the front now:


Basically, we removed the rest of the plants, added pavers and about 20 bags of pebbles, and added some colorful flowers. Oh, and we painted our door and added a bench! There's still a little more work to be done, especially in the flower department, but I am very happy with it.



Here's my adorable bench, built by Jay. I like to sit here and watch him play "pickle" with our kids and their neighborhood friends.


Bench close-up! No more overgrown plants! Just some rocks, pavers, and Pippin.


Our "color block" pots, the idea for which I stole from Pinterest. Or, rather, from a blog post someone pinned on Pinterest. It's very complicated. Anyway, I adore them. Nothing like a little paint to gussy up cheap planters!

And, the front door before & after:


We went a little more "mid century" with the flat panels and the single doorknob. I'm thinking about adding some retro house numbers vertically on the left door, but Jay is not sold on the idea, so we'll see. I feel like it still needs something. Maybe the flowers just need to grow a little more... I don't know. I love the color, though. ("Spritz of Lime", though it looks more avocado.) It gives everyone a warning about the color combinations they are about to encounter on the inside. :)

So, hopefully the entryway feels a little more welcoming now, and people are less afraid of being attacked by a bush or a rouge yellow garden hose. I know I feel better!

Can't wait to show you what else we've been up to!

3 comments:

Gramma Betsy said...

Everything looks so nice!

Brenda said...

About the numbers on the door...do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!

robin said...

i love your house so much! you guys have really made it look awesome. i love the green door!