We chose the book Meet Kit, which focuses on Kit Kitteridge, a 10 year old girl growing up in the Great Depression. Some of you may have seen the movie version. For the party, we dressed up, decorated with items popular in the 30's, listened to 1930's music, and had some yummy era-appropriate food. We played jacks - or at least tried to with the junky plastic jacks they sell nowadays - and learned to type on real typewriters, just like Kit.
I intended on having a good discussion about the book during the party, but that didn't really happen. Part of that was because many of the girls were Bea's age (most of Natalie's classmates couldn't attend), and they didn't quite have the attention span for a discussion. Looking back, I should have just read aloud from the book for a little while, but oh well ... maybe next time. We had a great time regardless. Hopefully we will be able to do it again ... when the rest of my life calms down. (Ha!)
Here are a few more pictures if you are so inclined!





5 comments:
What a cute and fun idea! Where'd you get the typewriters?
It was a fun party. Thanks for letting me come and enjoy the day.
Mom
What a fun book club for the girls! I'll have to swipe this idea in a couple years when Jaylin starts getting into those. You did a great job!
You all look adorable! How fun.
Thanks all. :)
Terry, I borrowed the typewriters from a few sisters in the ward. In fact, I still have them in my closet. :)
Post a Comment