"What's going on?" I asked.
"Their credit card machine isn't working," Jay said with an exasperated sigh. We had been to the dry cleaner earlier, but were asked to come back because they were still working on Jay's jacket. The items were actually supposed to be ready on Tuesday. It wouldn't have been that big of a deal, but Jay needed his jacket for work, plus we were all hungry, including the kids. (And if you know anything about me at all, you know that patience is not my best virtue in normal circumstances, but especially when I am hungry.)
Just as Jay was about to start the car so that we could go to the bank and get cash, the other customer opened the store door and flagged Jay down. Wondering what the man needed, Jay got out and talked to him. The car door was left open, so I heard the man ask Jay if he was short on cash to pay for his dry cleaning. Jay explained the situation, and the man said, "Come back in, I'll get it for you." Jay protested, but the man very kindly persisted. They walked inside, with Jay still protesting. The dry cleaning bill was just under $30, so I knew Jay wouldn't actually let him pay for it.
I watched them through the large glass windows, wondering what was happening. The man said a few things to Jay, smiled a warm smile, and shook Jay's hand. Jay responded, and then the next thing I knew he was coming back into the car, dry cleaning in hand. "Why did you let him pay?" I asked.
"He insisted," Jay said. "He told me 'Merry Christmas, and pass it on.'"
It was one of those random acts of kindness you hear people talking about, but you very rarely experience. I was honestly shocked that a complete stranger would spend $30 of his hard earned money on us, but I was also very touched. What an example of selflessness and Christlike behavior. What an example to Jay and I, and to our children, about serving in the moment. And what a way to begin the Christmas season.
To the stranger at the Orangevale dry cleaners ... thank you. Your small act of kindness has made a lasting impression, and we will definitely "pass it on."


6 comments:
You made your sister-in-law cry.Inspiring story.
What a great story! Now I hope to find some way to make someone else's day. Thanks Amy!
On a side note....We have the best cleaners. You have to pay cash for bills under 10 bucks. When Cliff doesn't have cash they let him take his uniforms and pay the next time. And so cheap too-I only pay 5 bucks a uniform and in Nipomo I had to pay 10 bucks a uniform. I think I'll get some yummy goodies for my cleaners. :)
that was great. for a second there i thought the guy made a deal with jay that if he ever pulled him over, jay wouldn't give him a ticket.
but the real story is much better.
Thats GREAT! I love that story. Im so glad to know that there are still kind people ou there. Very touching. Thank you for sharing.
That is such a touching story. How amazing.
Ahh, this made me cry. Beautiful angel!
Post a Comment