Sunday, November 1, 2009

Pumpkins, Costumes, & Candy - Oh My!

Despite all attempts from our nemesis, the flu, we made it to the pumpkin patch before Halloween!




We fed goats, picked out our pumpkins, listened to Calvin scream, and balked at the price of a train ride. ($5 per person!) We came home with a wagon full of pumpkins, and on Halloween day, we carved them to pieces!



The day before Halloween was a busy day, with a parade at the school, and Trunk-or-Treat at the church that evening. We had a wonderful time at both events, and the kids really enjoyed dressing up in their costumes.

Saturday was trick-or-treating in our neighborhood, and I have to say, I was really happy with the experience. We live on a circle, and it was hoppin'. Families came out in droves, and even the groups of teenagers were dressed up. (I really hate when teenagers come to the door with no costume, their pillowcase thrust in your face. I don't think so.) Anyway, their was a friendly spirit in the neighborhood, and we were happy to be part of it. A big thanks to my mother-in-law, who passed out candy while Jay & I chaperoned the kiddos... you're the best!

Calvin, squeezed into a costume one size too small. Mobility is highly overrated anyway.


Dexter finally agreed to wear a costume. What a cutie!


Natalie, looking like the teenage sleuth herself, Nancy Drew:


Bea, wearing Jay's awesome creation - a shower:


(yes, it was inspired by a movie)

She got quite a bit of attention wherever she went. People were taking her picture at the door, and summoning loved ones from inside to take a look as well. She seemed to enjoy it, but I started to worry that all the attention would take a toll on Natalie. Natalie was a trooper, though, and didn't show any signs of jealousy, even if she felt them. She loved being Nancy Drew and taking notes in her notebook. And although Bea really loved her costume, I think she was happy when it was time to take it off. It was certainly not an easy thing to walk around in. She only fell one time though ... much better than I expected!


I hope everyone had as fun of a Halloween as we did.
OH! How could I forget?

Happy 31st Birthday to Jay, the love of my life. "One year older and wiser, too..."

Too bad he'll never catch up with me.

10 comments:

Kristen said...

Bea's costume reminds me of a movie I once saw....many years ago! Ha ha! Love it!

Powers Fam said...

What cute costumes! The girls costumes are my favorite and way to go Jay on the construction of the shower. Very cool.

Laurie Von said...

good stuff--the puking pumpkin rox and the karate kid costume idea steal is a WINNER! too cute.

Robert and Katie said...

You guys are so creative! Good job on the pumpkins and costumes. Happy Birthday Jay!

Chris and Rita said...

The pumpkin patch here was $12 a person just get in!!!! I went for Adam's field trip and was freaking out at the price. $36 just for Adam, John , and I to get in! Holy crud!
They came away with a measely litlle 2lb pumpkin half covered in dirt! I was really irritated! (if you couldn't tell) :)

Chris and Rita said...

Oh, I forgot to say Happy Birthday to my awesome brother! (:

Gramma Betsy said...

It was a great weekend. I had lots of fun....Glad I could be there.
Mom

The Farrell Family said...

Glad you guys are feeling better! Looks like you had lots of fun. Cute costumes for all. I was dying over the shower though. Classic!

robin said...

oh jay, where has our youth gone? i have also crossed the threshold of 30, but i'm not 31 yet, so that's good.

oh, and that pumpkin made me want to throw up! you sickos...

Michelle said...

Sounds like the perfect Halloween! Loved the costumes, so cute!!!