It was a crisp Monday morning. 13 days into my no sugar/flour days. I was out early helping my brother move some of his stuff to a storage unit. I hadn't been to Monterey for a long time. We were done early so we decided to drive around and check out my old Pacific Grove stomping grounds. We were heading up Highway 68 to leave PG when I saw it.... It was my old favorite place to stop and get breakfast on my way to work. The wonderful smelling Bagel Bakery. I remembered all the times I had spent with a pastrami and cheese melt that they make and all the fresh bagels with a little bit of strawberry cream cheese. (Ya I know I am weird)
Right at that moment my brother (In his defense he knew nothing of my 30 day goal) said I'm kind of hungry do you want to stop and get something? I said to myself I'm sure they've got something without sugar or flour. (ya right) Sprouted wheat bagels anyone? Needless to say I caved. Without a mention of my 30 day plans I walked in there and ordered my pastrami and cheese melt! (They were lucky they still had one left. It could have gotten ugly.)
It was just as good as I remember it, but was it worth it? In a word NO!!! That moment sent me careening into the sugar/flour pit of despair. We went to the movies and I had candy. I ate pizza at work on Friday. Bea had some good B-day cake. Man I was frustrated.
13 Days! That is all I could do. For those 13 days I have gained a new appreciation for those who suffer from addiction. Whether it be cigarettes, alcohol, hookah, the reefer :o) - it doesn't matter. It is very difficult to quit something you love doing. I would find myself thinking of ways to cheat. Ways to sneak away from Amy and get candy. Not that Amy would get mad or anything, it just made me feel like I needed to be hiding. I know this sounds silly but it is true. I felt like an addict trying to find my next fix.
I have in the past been very critical of those who were addicted to something. I thought "hey what is your problem just quit" I learned in 13 days it isn't that easy.
As far as the rest of the 30 days I am back to eating right. I am going to focus on my exercise and getting ready for the academy.
Sunday, May 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment